Thursday, September 1, 2011

Long time no see... or poker


I did not join the CardsChat Spring 2011 League. I got a new girlfriend and poker was a much smaller part of my life so I decided not to sign up.

A couple weeks in I missed the one game a week, so I signed up as an alternate.

Poker's Black Friday hit and nuked real money games in the United States, which caused people to drop from the league and I got picked up by a team in middle position.

The team ended up getting 1st place, and I won league MVP for the third season in a row. (Nobody other player has won twice, let alone three times in a row)

I felt obligated to play in the Summer 2011 league, and am doing well in it (3 wins, and 2 2nd places over the 5 games I've played so far).

I made a chart showing my finishes for the individual games over the past 4 seasons:

Those stats are laughably high. 17 first places in 38 games is crazy.
I still have 4 more games to play this season, and one guy is right on my tail, so my good finishes this season by no means lock me for a 4th MVP title.

I'm watching a teammate play a game right now, and the conversation at the table tickled me.
You start with 3,000 chips and 10/20 blinds. Early in the game the conversation went something like this:

DM - I'm so card dead this game. It's frustrating.
SP - You're card dead over what, maybe, 20 hands???
CK - 19!
DM - Ha ha! Yeah, I get frustrated if I don't see K/K or A/A within the first five hands.
CK - If you're so card dead, how come you don't have 2,900 chips?
SP - LOL!

DM had 1,850 chips instead of the 2,900+ chips he'd have if he just folded every hand.

I have a tiny bit of money on Carbon (and a friend generously doubled it) but I just don't have the urge to grind it. I think I have $1,400 or so on Full Tilt that I never expect to see again and I have a few hundred on UltimateBet that I can almost guarantee I'll never see, so building a bankroll on Carbon has lost it's appeal.


No comments: