Saturday, July 14, 2012

Updating because I'm bored

My chin ups are going fine.  My right elbow was aching a bit, and I thought I might have to quit but the pain went away and I keep doing the chin ups so we'll see.
I'm pretty laid back with the regime, especially since I'll be on vacation for a couple weeks pretty soon.

 My girl friend took off for Canada for three weeks, to catch Canada geese and band them for some research project.  She'll be flown into a remote camp, with no phone and no Internet.  She can use the satellite phone for a few minutes each week.
It sounds like a fun trip despite the fact that there are no showers and someone has to carry a rifle due to the polar bears.

I planned on fishing early today so I set my alarm for 5:45, to get out before sunrise (sunrise was at around 6:30, but there's light at about 5:45) and I woke up at 5:43 so I just stayed up rather than suffer the indignity of hearing that alarm go off.
 I tried to catch another trout but I only caught a catfish.  I considered switching tactics and going for some bass but I didn't feel like paddling across the lake.
I'm tempted to go back out early tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I'm going to my in-laws for my father-in-law & my brother-in-law's birthdays.  Should be good times.

On Wednesday my daughter and I are flying to Sacramento, where my mother/father/brother will pick us up and drive us to Lake Tahoe for a family reunion.
Then on Saturday we drive to another lake for another family reunion.  We'll be at that place a week before driving back to Sacramento and flying home.

-

A couple weeks ago my father and I did some target practice in his front yard, because we hadn't shot our Henry Big Boys in awhile.  I brought a spinner, which is .3/5" thick steel.  My .44 Magnum puts some significant dents in it.  :)
I brought him some .38 Specials and I got some .44 Specials for myself, but I ran into a weird problem.

Awhile back I sighted my my rifle at just over 55 yards with my .44 Magnum ammunition.
A few weeks ago I shot the Henry and could hit the spinner (4" diameter) every time at about 30 yards.
A week later a friend and her two sons came over and I hit the target no problem at 25 yards while standing.
Well, my father-in-law and I shot at 50 yards, and I couldn't hit the spinner at all!
I wasn't hitting the target or seeing any reaction.  I had no idea where the bullet was going.
I decided to shoot about 6" low so I could at least see a puff of dust, and "PANG!" I hit the spinner!

A .44 Special is an under-powered .44 Magnum.  I figured that less power meant that the bullet would go lower.  It made no sense that it would shoot so much higher than the .44 Magnum.  (Remember, I was aiming low because the bullet was going half a foot + over where I was aiming)
Maybe my scope had been bumped or misaligned in some way?  IMO, a weaker cartridge should shoot *lower* not higher.

I put some magnums into the gun and they all went where they were supposed to.  The bullets went right to where the cross-hairs pointed.  What the?!?!

So I put some Specials back in and they shot high again!  I had to aim into the dirt.  Could my ammo be weird?

Today I Googled the problem and found this: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258207
That solved the mystery.

To sum it up, the .44 Special shoots substantially slower than the .44 Magnum.  Because of this the bullet does *not* leave the barrel before the gun starts to recoil.  So the barrel is on its way up before the bullet leaves the muzzle, resulting in a higher shot even though the bullet is under powered compared to a Magnum

I found that really interesting.  I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.


No comments: