Sunday, August 17, 2008

Massive downswing

Wow. Blew $150 yesterday.
I can't seem to catch a break in tournaments. If I'm all in with the best hand I lose. But if I'm in as a dog I win.

I was short stacked in that hand, shoved, and tripled up. I ended up going on to cash in that satellite. One of three cashes I've had in my last 25 or so tournaments.

Ok, here's a little poker quiz. Look at the picture below. I have $2,155 with blinds at $1,000/$2,000 and the antes are at $100. That means that if I win the pot, an extra $3,700 is added to my stack, more than doubling me up. My hand is J/J. What do I do?


I tried to be a bit misleading with that question. This has very little to do with my stack and everything to do with the UTG guy being dead meat. He's all-in next hand, and the big stack is pot committed to call him with anything. Hopefully some of the table will call as well.

At this point, the next person out gets $6 and the remaining 6 people get an $11 ticket to the Sunday $200k, so everybody should be gunning for the short stacks.

In this case, I folded, and it was folded to the BB (who would have called *anybody* with any two cards).

The next hand the BB was all-in with less than a BB, so I called with A/Q. Thankfully the BB didn't put me all in with his 3/3 and we checked it down. (I made Queens up to knock the shorty out.) I'd have had 155 left had I lost, which would let me see two more hands... where Jammy would be all in as well.

Anyway, it worked out, I got my ticket, and I immediately cashed it out for the $11T.

Then I hit the $50 NL tables are got pummeled. I had K/K twice, taking the blinds once and winning a $2 call the second time when he folded to my c-bet.
Every time I c-bet with air I was called.
I rarely hit the flop, and when I did I think I was only called down once. Every other time they'd fold.
Tilting, I made a shove on a flop with an Ace/face/X on the board, with a second nut flush draw. The guy calls with A/2. A/2??? I fail to hit my diamond and lose $50 to his pair of Aces with no kicker and no draw.

So anyway, I lost over two buy-ins at $50NL to knock me way back into the red at that level. And with my losing streak I'm no longer rolled for $50NL.

Suxxorz.

Ont he plus side, I have a big freeroll on the CardsChat poker forum that I'm a part of. It's on Full Tilt, and I hope to build a bankroll there. I've never deposited, but I have $9 there.

Oh... and I should have $2.40. I played some, trying to build my roll. I made a shove with an open ended straight draw and was called by second pair. I sucked out and hit my card for the straight. Again, it seems like I've only been getting paid when I'm a dog going in.

2 comments:

WVHillbilly said...

"Again, it seems like I've only been getting paid when I'm a dog going in. "

I call this running backwards. I posted about it 2 days ago and I've been doing it all month.

Keep at it you'll get turned around.

SavagePenguin said...

Yeah, I was running backwards. Been running hot lately though.
Been running "smart" too though.