Friday, April 13, 2007

Big tournament

At 8:20 the other night I started playing in a 1,200+ person tournament. I was tired to begin with, so it was a mistake to start the game.

I started off doing pretty well, then my friend started sweating me and I had a bad run of cards. (Sweating me is basically just watching and rooting for me).
He said he was bad luck, then I got the following hand:

A full house to break a guy who made trip-Aces. Pretty sweet.

The very next hand was this:

Awesome! I made a ton of chips that hand as well, making me the tournament chip leader.

I busted another player a short time later with this hand. He went all-in on the river and I thought, "If he has the fourth ace then he deserves to double up."



I slow played this one.

People kept playing into me, though only one guy went all-in. I assumed he had a Q, so the 8/8 surprised me. I'm sure at least one person was smart enough to fold his King (or A/K or two pair). I'm surprised I didn't see anybody play with a Q though.

I did have a few hits, like this one. The guy went all in (12k) pre-flop with 5/5:


I was chip leader at the first break and the second break. I was exhausted and wanted to quit, but I was doing so well I couldn't just leaved.
By the third break (at around midnight) I had slipped some, but I was still in contention:



At around 12:40am (I know because Jimmy Kimmel Live was on) people were playing really tight, trying to get a bigger payoff. I was the small blind, and everyone folded to me.

I raised with 4/6 off-suit to attempt a steal.
The big blind called my fairly obvious bluff.
On the flop I hit middle pair and bet. He called.
On the turn... beautiful! I hit trip-fours! I made another bet.
He responded by going all-in. I called...

He had a full house and I was eliminated. Whew!

I finished in 22nd place, not bad for a field of over 1,200. The good news was that I could go to bed. I was playing to win, not to for the 50k in first prize chips.

I ended up getting 920 chips I think. It cost 250 to play. That's a terrible profit for all those hours of play. I usually play in the 100/200 games, so an average pit is usually quite a bit more than that.

No comments: