Friday, April 27, 2007

Poker After Dark

Tonight I tried and tried to play some of the Poker After Dark entry tournaments on Full Tilt. I actually got into about 4 of them.
Here's the first game I was eliminated from:

They guy to my right went all-in pre-flop, and I called. He won with a pair of fives!!! Ugh!

In the second game, here's the hand that crushed me:

I called the blind with my A/A in early position (planning on re-raising if someone raised) and this maniac went all-in. Of course I called. The flop was scarey, and the hand ended in tragedy.

I don't remember how my third exit ended. I'd remember if it was a stupid play, so I probably had the odds to play an underdog hand and lost.

I played pretty good in the 4th game (which was really the second game I started). I was patient, waited for opportunities, and exploited the betting pattens I witnessed in others.

Mid-way through the tournament I made a big bluff for all my chips on the river and because I knew my opponent was weak, and he/she called with third pair to the board! I had made a standard bet every street anda big one on the river and he/she called. Ugh!
So I knew he/she was exploitable. When I was dealt K/Q and the flop was 5/Q/5 I checked, because the schmuck was in the hand. He/she had 4/4.

The guy to my left went all-in early, and I worked my way to all-in on the turn. Of course I was called, and won a ton of chips.

Everything went right this game. When I saw a weakness I was able to exploit it.

Here's my standing at the first break:


With around 25 players left I gambled hoping to triple up, and lost. I went from 75k to 700. Ugh! My friend saw it and said he thought I had 264. I'm pretty sure it was a number in the low 700's.
Anyway, it was barely a big blind's worth of chips.
Then I got a lucky streak. My first had I had trips, and one of the guys who split my chips was all-in. I could have crushed him if I had chips. Doh!
I went all-in about four hands in a row and won them all, tripling up the first two or three times. It was sweet.
I brought that up to around 55k, about average my table (we were down to two tables at that point).

For my final hand there were 5 people at my table, and three of us were active in the hand. It was me (the big blind), the small blind, and the guy under the gun. I had A/3 clubs and bet pre-flop, one raised, the other called, and I called.
The flop had two clubs, with a Jack for the high card I think.
I bet (hoping to steal) the guy to my left called, and the guy to my right raised a bunch.
The guy's bet put me all in, but at this point I had roughly three-to-one on my money, so I called. I was overjoyed when the other guy called. I'd either be the tournament leader, or I was going home. All I needed was a club for the nut flush.
The turn failed to produce a club.
The river failed to produce a club.
I was out.
I think the two players both paired their Jack. They both ended up splitting the pot.

I was eliminated in 10th place, out of 640 (I think) players.

I was incredibly lucky to get that far after getting down to 700. Or, I guess you could say that I was unlucky that I had the incredibly good cards the moment I had very few chips.
In my opinion I was on borrowed the moment I had 700 chips. I did what I had to do, it worked, and I got in with the correct odds at the end.

Good game. I hope to do more of these Poker After Dark games.

No comments: