Monday, April 16, 2007

Chip trouble

I earned a bit over 100k in chips with my old account.
Then I earned a bit over 120k in my new account, which has a cooler name.

I wanted to close my old account and transfer my chips to the new account, so I had a friend login with my old account. We played a 100k heads up game. On hand one I made a big raise, with junk, and told him to call. My plan was to bet the turn or river and have him fold.
Then we'd wait until I had the best hand at the river before he went all-in and I'd call.

Well, after I told him to call, he went all-in. The idiot I am, I called. Doh!
My junky hand failed to connect and suddenly my old account had 200k and my good account was left with 20k. Great! Now I'd have to work my new account back to 100k to try it again.

Psychologically I shouldn't have continued playing, but I did. I tried to get even and burned through that 20k really quickly. I think I did it to punish myself.

When I had to reset my account to 1,000 I went into kamikaze mode. I entered a 10/20 game and stuck it all in hoping to triple up. I won the first one, but spewed that money away before I could hit 4k. (My goal was to get 4k, the minimum buy-in for the 100/200 tables, where I can really make money) Then I lost the next eight or ten of those in a row and quit for the night.

The next night I decided to play different. I played smart. I popped onto two tables, buying in for only 500 each. I also waited for good hands rather than rolling the dice with iffy hands. I found that with 500 chips I got called by more people. I think it's a mix of them assuming I'm desperate, and the fact that it's "only" 480 or so more after posting the blind.
I ended up making about 12k in those two games before moving to the 100/200 tables. My head was in the game and my chip stack showed it.

When I hit the 100/200 tables I didn't do so well. I was watching TV, and my head wasn't in the game. I was up to 20k at my peak before quitting at around 5k. I wasn't at a good table and should have come back when the fish were biting.

The next day I worked my chip stack up to around 22k. It took hours to do that.
My biggest problem was that my heart just wasn't in it. I wasn't making desperate/wild moves, but I was still watching TV.
I was a bit mad at myself for not making more at that time, so I did another self-punishment thing. I entered a 9-player, 10,000 chip sit & go. If I didn't finish in the top three half of my chip stack would be flushed down the toilet.
Losing hours of work would have sucked, so I forced myself to pay attention and play my best. Lucky for me I was dealt KK the first hand, and ended up breaking the guy on my left. I never lost the chip lead after that. I busted the second person out a couple rounds later, and after that point nobody got so much as half of my chip stack.

When there were three of us left the remaining players had about 700 in chips left. I noticed that one of them was away. A lot of people enter sit & go's and set their account to "away," thereby folding every hand. A lot of the time they can get to the money. I've done it myself a few times.
I told the guy that I wanted him to get second place, and advised him wait for her to get blinded out before making a move. Since he was actually playing I thought he deserved the chips for second place. That didn't stop me from stealing blinds though. But I never bet enough to put him all-in.
When I was big blind or she was big blind and she was small blind, I bet and took the pot. When he was big blind and I was small blind I bet and took the pot. But when I was dealer I folded every hand, allowing him to take her blinds.
One time he went all-in and I folded. He had pocket Kings.

Anyway, when she left he put on a pretty good fight, working his way up to 2,500 or so, before I took him out. The payout was something like 50k.

I played another 9-player sit & go last night, because I felt myself getting sloppy. This time it was only a 2,000 game. Again, I dominated through most of the game.
At one point two of us (I sort of felt like we were a team, since I assumed we'd be going heads up) had most of the chips (I was chip leader though) and two people only had about 700 each. They both ended up doubling up twice through us. Then one of them knocked the guy who I had assumed all along I'd go to the final table with.
I worked the guy on the left down to 1,000 and he went all-in. If the dealer called I'd have bailed, but the dealer folded, so I called with crap. Assuming he had two big cards I figured I was a 1-2 underdog. Not bad.
He showed Ace/8, unsuited. (The Dead Man's Hand)
I had 5/3 unsuited.
The flop was 6, Ace, Ace. That give him trip-aces and me pretty much nothing. He was a 97% favorite, so I even typed in a "NH" to congratulate him.
I didn't even look at the flop or turn... until the chips were pushed into my account.
"What???"
It ends up I made a runner-runner to fill a straight. That was a sick suck out on my part!


I had a substantial lead on the remaining guy. He as too passive, and I could steal most pots. I got in trouble when I tried to get tricky and ended up doubling him up. I never quite caught up after that, and he ended up winning. I still got a decent payout though.

So anyway, I'm well on my way back to 100k. My head's back in the game so I think I'll continue to do well. Once I hit 100k though, I fear that I'll get wild again.

No comments: