Sunday, October 24, 2010

Non-poker

In earlier posts I mentioned that I've been doing the Perfect Push Up routine.

Based on my max, I'm supposed to be doing a 14/10/6 routine. (14 push ups, quick rest, then 10, quick rest, and then 6) However, I decided to start out doing them with my feet on a chair (making them harder) and I kind of pulled something in my back the second day. It's only slight, and I only feel it when doing push ups.
So instead of doing them on a chair I started just doing more. I was doing 18/14/8 and that strain wasn't going away and started getting worse.

A few days ago I decided that I need to stop for awhile and let myself heal. I keep looking at equipment and I'm eager to start again.

I find the push ups to be sort of therapeutic. I like focusing my body and mind 100% on something. It hurts but I'm in control of that pain, so it's nothing. Real pain comes in lack of control.

It's also a good time killer. I do four sets, every-other day, and each set takes two minutes.

So anyway, I'm writing this because I'm sitting in my chair, looking at my Perfect Push Up grips thinking "This is a perfect time to do a set" but I'm forcing myself not to do them.

Oh... I know what I can add. While I have a definite change in my triceps, and some slight change in my shoulders and chest, almost nothing was happening with my biceps. I read up on it and push ups do almost nothing for the biceps. ...but pull ups do. So I've been adding pull ups to my routine.

I use my spiral staircase and do them on days opposite of my push ups. Come to think of it, that might be a contribution to my sore back. It uses a lot of the same upper body and core muscles so I may not be giving my body enough time to recuperate. Tired muscles don't work like they should, which can put strain on other parts, which can lead to injury. So I should probably just do them all on the same day? Maybe?

Anyway, after fighting through it for over a week I gave up a few days ago and probably won't start again until Wednesday, which will be about a week off.

Whine whine whine...

Also, last night I fell asleep on the sofa, which left me with a soar back. ;) I actually slept really well, and I'm sure it'll go away quickly.
It's times like this I wish I had my daughter here to walk on my back.
Back when I was married I didn't ask for back rubs a lot, but this is one of the times when I'd probably ask. I guess single life some disadvantages.

Okay, a little poker...
Last night I played two $4+$.40 Rush tournaments and only cashed in one for $6.75, for a $2.05 loss. Then I played two $2.10 super turbos and cashed in one for $3.60 for a $1.50 loss.
This morning I played a $10.50 knock-out HU tournament (weird) and wont he first round for the $5 bounty, but lost the second when he shoved with 8/5s and I called (still with a big stack) with A/T and he made trips. Had I won that, he'd have been crippled and I'm confident I'd have won. Oh well. So that game was a $5.50 loss. So I'm down $9.05 in tournaments for the last 24 hours.

I have no plans for the day, so I may play a 6-max game that CardsChat is putting on. (Cardschat is the poker forum I'm active in).

No comments: