Friday, July 4, 2008

W-evar

For my 1,000th post on CardsChat I held a late night (9:00 Easten) tournament on PokerStars.

I offered a buy-in but the guy I was going to award it to never responded. His loss.

There end up being a total of 10 players in the tournament, and I took third place.

I was chip leader through much of the tournament. With about 4-5 of us left, had my post-flop shove with TPTK held against someone who's middle pair hit trips on the river, I'd have had a massive chip lead. Oh well, I've been beat by much much worse.

The worst part about that loss was that the guy who beat me lost many of those chips to the guy directly on my left, who went on to win the entire thing.

I ended up taking third, for $10. With the $5.50 buy-in and the $5.50 bounty I lost $1 for my endeavor... but it was fun and well worth the $1. (I'd have been stoked to win it though)

After that I played a $2NL game. I lost $.09 and then lost another $4 trying to win it back.
There were a couple CardsChat players in the game, so we were playing pretty wild, making a lot of moves on each other. Well... one of them played pretty seriously (the only guy who left a winner).

Three times times I had terrible hands (7/2, 6/3, and 2/4 I think) with a bunch of limpers. On the button I'd raise to 15 bb's so I could steal and show the bluff. Then the guy UTG would raise to 50bb's. Whaa????

Oh... and one hand. I was up against this donk:


I had K/8 I think on a K/8/x flop. He raised, I called.
X on the turn. He raised, I called.
Q on the river. He raised, I called. He has K/Q. Doh!
He's one of the CardsChat guys and we were making moves on each other so I was just going to let him do the betting for me. I think he figured I was on a weak King or maybe A/8 or something like that.
Anyway, that hand was my biggest loss.

That reminds me. I played for a few minutes this morning. I was on a bunch of lists but only played on two tables.



One time I was in the BB and it was folded to the SB, who just called. I had 9/3. We checked the flop and turn. With a Q/K/K/X/X board, which I had no piece of and $1 pot, he shoves is $18 stack.
I type a "Whaaa?" and then fold.
He showed K/K.

Anyway, it was a short session but I finished with a profit. I was able to bluff at one pot to make $8. That could have gone very wrong. But it worked out.
I'm not sure if it was a +EV move in the long run as my bluffs never seem to work at $50NL.

Neither do my C-bets.

Oh... that reminds me. Someone advised me to look at a c-bet video on Stox. I'm going to go do that now.

No comments: