Friday, January 16, 2009

Two more DoN's

Played two Double or Nothings Turbos last night.
I cashed in them both pretty easily. There were at least four of us who were playing the same two tables. I sort of give the multi-tables a little more credit for not taking unnecessary chances, so I respect their raises.

All of the regulars were playing just like me... tight. Maybe even too tight. Lately I've been opening up my range and stealing more, and last night was no exception. In one game I had 7,000 on the bubble and just started shoving every hand, unless someone shoved ahead of me. I was giddy, taking in hand after hand. A micro-stack challenged me with A/J when I had A/T suited, and he doubled up when I we both failed to hit.
I was at over 8,000 in chips when someone called my last shove. I had A/6, he had A/4. I flopped a 6, and the turn was a blank which sealed the deal. Boo-ya! Cha-ching!

On the other table I was still a lot more active. I think I got up to $4k at one point but finished at around $3k. I stole a lot. If the BB was $100/$200, I'd raise to $450 and take it. Really, I only remember being challenged once... and that's including both tables.
I did tighten up towards the end because the two people on my left had about equal stacks to me. The three of us were basically waiting for the other three to make a mistake and bust.

I think playing really nitty was the way to go before, but now people are getting nitty (because it pays) so opening up a bit is safer than it once was, and more profitable.

With those two wins, I have cashed in 10 of my last 11 DoN games.

Thoughts about the Turbos...
At first I thought that the standard Double or Nothing tournaments were the best bet for making $. A slower blind schedule means that you need to put fewer chips in, which means that you get to see more hands before having to make big moves. Basically, you get to see more hands and make more decisions, and being able to make more decisions benefeits the better player and limits variance.
However, I'm starting to favor the Double or Nothing Turbos in a big way now. If you win a turbo you get $9.60 profit for your ~30 minutes of play. If you win a standard you only get $9.20 for your ~45 minutes of play. IE, turbos pay a winner $19.20 per hour and regular tournaments pay $12.27 per hour. That is HUGE!
The bigger $-per-hour rate crushes the "more decisons" advantage in the regular games (those extra ~30 hands, many of them with small blinds anyway, aren't a huge advantage). Plus quicker blinds give people more opportunity to mismanage their chipstacks, and it also let me do my "stall to make the blinds go up just in time to his the short stack" trick.

So anyway, those are my thoughts now. I *wanted* to play some rings last night but I didn't want to record a video with comentary with the japping dog in the background, so I did not allow myself to play.

No comments: