Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ok, where I'm at now.

Remember that bad time I had awhile back?
Well the next day that same tire was flat again.
I had the pee-dog all week.
A few days after coming back from the hospital we went back for another week.
I continued to be swamped, alone, at work.

We had an ice storm on January 26th which left us without power. It's also been freezing cold out, so without electricity (I have electric heat) I haven't been able to stay at home. I've been sleeping on the floor or on a sofa at my ex's apartment or at my in-laws for the past dozen nights or so.
I'd go to the house with a flash light every night and every morning to light a fire to keep the pipes from freezing.
A few days ago one of my fires went out prematurely, and a pipe froze. It flooded the bathroom and hallway and part of the living room and part of the bedroom.

I use a MasterCard check card pretty much exclusively for my purchases. Just before the storm there was a security leak at the bank and they responded by canceling *every* check card. It took two weeks to get my card (I think it arrived at my house yesterday, but I'll have to check) so I've been having to pay for stuff with my check book. No cash from the ATM either. That's a pain.

Everyone on my street has power now, except for two houses. Those two houses are my neighbor and myself. Driving home last week and seeing light on my street filled me with hope, so it was a little disheartening to get home and still not have any power.

I have downed trees all over the place that need to be cut but I'm so busy and it's so dark and cold by the time I get home I can't get anything accomplished other than minor damage control.

I had gone grocery shopping before the storm, and had to throw pretty much everything away because stuff in the refrigerator spoiled.

There was a big server crash at a rest home for nuns where they needed their old computer up by Wednesday (or they'd be docked thousands of $ in penalties and would have to wait an extra few weeks to get their money, which they couldn't afford to do). They had a bad motherboard with a ton of proprietary software on the drive so I needed to get it swapped out. I sent messages to people in four different states asking if I could drive out and pick up the similar mobo's they were selling on eBay (only one of which responded, and that was way too late) but ended up getting a miracle replacement in from a local business who was scrapping their old server. It was a miracle, as I only know one other place in the county that has one of those.

Oh, and as soon as that ended the police department got hit with a virus that ran rampant. They were hit *before* Norton had an update for that virus out. I had to take everything down, and eventually got one computer up and going. I've been working on getting the rest of the computers up and going since then. It's been frustrating. It infects ever EXE and SCR file, and Symantec would only quarantine them at first. Only yesterday did they give an update that will clean the file. So until then it was a *lot* of reinstallations to get stuff to work.

Basically... I wish I had some breathing room. I'm worn out.

No comments: