Monday, July 27, 2009

Micro slump

I had a great vacation with my family at the beach in L.A. last week. I didn't play any poker, and came back refreshed and eager to play. Although, I think I came back with a bit of homesickness.

Anyway, the games have been a bit frustrating.

I lost my $27 steps ticket with some bad luck (my middle pair vs his gutshot that hit runner/runner flush). Well, I won a Step 1 from it, but I tilted that off.

Then I played a game I really wanted to win, the CardsChat HU game. I even went to my ex-in-law's place to use their DSL.
I played about a dozen hands, with K/2 being my best hand, when I got knocked out of the game. I could sometimes see my hands, but I couldn't click the button to return. It was miserable.
Occasionally I'd be active for a second, but before I could click bet/fold I'd be cut off again.
When I was down to $700 in chips I decided that my only chance of winning was to shove any two cards if I could access the game, and hope to get lucky.
I got in with J/T, I shoved, he won with a pair of kings.
It was a crushing game. To see my cards (A/Q, J/J, etc) and not be able to play... it was painful. And I love HU play and I love CC games.
I'd seriously rather have lost a regular $20 game via suckout than that particular $5 game the way I did.

The next day we had the deep stack CC tournament. This is another one that I really wanted to do well in. Redemption time, right?
Player #3 is a smart player and I crush his range at that point. He's shoving almost any pair, and A/7+ I think as he's down to less than 10 bb's.

The whole time I was thinking "No Ace! No Ace!" so I didn't even notice the two 9's on the board. So after the hand I said "GG" and was surprised to see "my" chips go his way. Ugh!

A bit later:

I hate it when I lose with the worst hand. :)
This was against the same player. I figured he pot committed himself with his T/T+, A/Q+ so I shoved. Oh well.
Of course, I was unable to come back from that and was out two hands later.

So today I decided to go to UB and try to build my BR. It was really slow at first (not a turbo like I'm used to), but when the bubble is close I kick it into gear and get aggressive and go from short stack to big stack.
Then I work my way to HU.
Then I get all-in on the turn with the nuts:


Then I flop top pair with an open ended straight draw:

Zoink! I fail to suck out and game over.

...but at least I finally made a profit.

Anyway, I plan on playing in a money added game tonight on UB. It has a nice overlay, and is at 7:00 which is a good time I think.
GL to me!

No comments: