Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The law school dropout's poker blog

I've been reading through The law school dropout poker blog archive, and find it pretty interesting. It's nice to follow his long term ups and downs. I'm barely a year through it right now, but will probably read through the entire thing.

I got the law school dropout link from Raze's post in the 2+2 forum.

I got to the 2+2 forums because of they guy who runs PlusEV.net (a poker comic) recommended going there in his forum.

It's funny how links lead to other links. I remember visiting cruel.com daily to find funny links. Cruel.com linked to ActsOfGord.com, a brilliant of account of one game rental store owner's dealings with dumb and/or obnoxious customers.
ActsOfGord.com linked to WilWheaton.net. Wheaton went to my high school (he left before I started going there), and I was sort of liked Star Trek & Stand By Me so I read it, and enjoyed it. Well, Wil linked to Fark.com and I've been visiting that website just about every day for the past six or so years.

A poker bud emailed me this interesting hand. Obviously he made the correct decision, but given the information I'm not sure that I would have. All said and done I'd only be 50% sure that he was bluffing.
--------------------------------------------------------------
That said, the big moment for me was when the
tournament was down to five people. I had become a
sizable chip leader. One of the regular players,
"R," called the big blind, and my "Uncle K" (the
small blind), my cousin's boyfriend (the big blind)
and I stayed in to see the flop. I had pocket 4s.
After the flop — something like J-8-5 rainbow —
"R" went all-in. I was hoping someone else would
call.

"Uncle K" folded. My cousin's boyfriend folded. I looked
at my stack. I looked at what it would take to call
(about 1/3 of my stack), and then I looked at "R."
For some reason, he picked up his cards, looked at the
flop and looked at his cards again. Something in that
look told me he didn't have anything on the flop. I
thought he's got a face card or an ace, but he doesn't
have a pair.

I decided my pocket 4s were the best hand still
playing, so I called him (a few people have told me
pot odds would dictate folding; I never tried to do
the math). "R" turned over K-6 (or some other
rag). He didn't hit his pair and I added to my growing
stack.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Now compare that to how I went out at my last live tournament:
Mid-way through the tournament I was big blind and had 10/4. One lady with twice the big blind went all-in, one guy who had been playing way too many pots (personally busting out two people in the first round, and a third a short time later!) limped in, so I called.
The flop was K/Q/4. I watched the "plays too many pots but wins" guy and he had the classic "I didn't connect with that flop" tell. Regardless, he put me all-in. I called, and he showed pocket Aces.
Doh!
I made the call primarily because I didn't want to work to get my chips back (I was bored with the game), and because I figured there was a 40% chance that he was bluffing with A/rag. 40% was fine for me to gamble with. Had I cared a little more I'd never have called unless I was was 55% sure that it was a bluff.

No comments: