Thursday, June 28, 2007

Pre-Poker

I've been going through my pre-game ritual this week. No red meat, minimal junk food, smaller portions, and no alcohol. I honestly think I play better when I'm a little hungry. I don't know why that is. Maybe food makes me lethargic, or lack of food puts me into predatory mode?
In fact, I haven't had an alcoholic beverage in over a week. Of course, that's not all by my choosing. Normally I'd start consciously not drinking on Sunday or Monday. I probably had a beer last Monday or Tuesday, but I know I didn't any Wednesday or Thursday. Friday I would have had one with dinner (we ate at Ruby Tuesday) but we were staying in a dry county, so there was no alcohol available. We were in the dry county until Sunday afternoon, and by the time I got home Sunday night all I wanted to do was go online and meet my 100,000 goal. I was playing serious poker then, and I will not mix alcohol with serious poker.

Serious poker = Me doing everything I can to win. I actively look for holes in people's games spot tells, study betting patterns, give off fake tells, calculate percentages/odds/outs, etc.
Play poker = Social poker, where winning isn't the goal. I tend to just play my cards, and tend to gamble a lot more. Basically I become just an average schlub at the table, only my goal is to break even. Usually after playing like a schlub most of the night I'll change gears into serious-mode in an attempt at breaking even. If I'm playing for free chips online though, I tend to just kamikaze myself in do-or-die situations to double-up.

I haven't played a single hand of poker since Sunday night. I don't have a steadfast rule against playing before a tournament, but I'd like to abstain from playing serious poker. That is, I don't want to put a lot of effort into a game, making me care about the results, as I think it could effect my mindset. I don't want to be dealt "A/Q" and think to myself, "Maybe I shouldn't raise because the last six times I had Ace/paint" the wrong paint showed up on the flop. I mean, I know I'd still make the right play, but I don't want to question it due to some silly misguided notion of bad luck.
I also think that playing serious poker drains my batteries, especially if variance throws me a dry spell. I want to hit the game with a full tank of gas, optimistic and eager to take the lead and do my best. If I hit the game a little bored of poker my attention will wane, and that's not good. I'd like to pay attention as much as I can, as long as I can.
..not 110%. That's impossible.

No comments: