Monday, June 23, 2008

Hand recap

There was one hand that gave me second thoughts yesterday. The button calls and I check from the BB with 8/3o. The flop is 8 high (two hearts) and I make a half pot bet which is called. The turn is a ten of hearts (3 hearts). I check, and he shoves 2,200 into the pot.

Now, all along I think I have the best hand. I expected an average raise, to which I was going shove back. His shove at this point just didn't make sense to me. I'm a limper who made a continuation bet but then gave up. I seem weak. If he had a hand, would he shove like that against weakness? I'm not pot committed at this point, and he could easily make a bet that would pot commit me if he had a hand.

Besides, I'd seen this guy make some good plays earlier. He knew how to get people's money in the pot when he had the best hand.

No... I figured he had a flush draw, a straight draw, or two over cards. Maybe a combination of draws. So I called.



I was right.
He was pissed, and criticized my call. I tried to see exactly what he said in my hand history but I guess the comments of railbirds aren't recorded. (Tee-hee!)

Anyway, a bad call there would have in no way crippled me (I think I was chip leader), and my read was right. Maybe I came to the right conclusion for the wrong reasons, but it worked.

I also want to note that I made two similar all-in shoves with middle pairs against the chip leader when we were close to the final table. He folded both times, which gave me the chip lead when we reached the final table. Of course, if he'd lost to me it would have stung a lot more. (He ended up finishing in 4th while I finished in 3rd.)

No comments: