Wednesday, June 11, 2008

New multi-tool

I've had a multi-tool at my side pretty much since the day my mom bought me on, oh, maybe a dozen years ago.

Up until about a year ago I carried a Leatherman with me. My first one broke and was replaced for free by the factory. My second one disappeared. I have no idea where it went to.

For about a year now I've been using a cheap/generic mult-tool that my cousin got me for Christmas. It hurts my hands a little, the blades are hard to pull out, and the needle nose pliers aren't aligned exactly right.

Well, earlier this week I was stuck out of town for an hour and a half, waiting for my next appointment to come off their lunch break so I could work on their computers. I went to Lowe's to get my wife some light bulbs, and ended up *finally* getting a multi-tool.

Despite my plan of getting another Leatherman I ended up getting a SOG PowerLock.

I like it so far. It's a little bigger than the Leatherman, but has a good feel to it. I like the locking blades. I also like how the blades can be removed and replaced by removing a hex screw. So if I ruin a blade due to abuse I pay $7 and they ship me a replacement.

Oh yeah, and it can be whipped open with one hand. My Leatheman could do that but the cheap-o one I had been using would not. Being able to flip it open is a big bonus.

No comments: