Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ouch

Got a little burned last night.

I played a HU S&G and for the first time ever, I felt completely outmatched. The guy pwned me.
I was able to get our stacks back to equal a couple times, but he was relentless and just punished me. I failed to adapt, waiting for a big hand where I could have put the hurt down, but good hands were few and far between and he wasn't backing down to anything.

I finally lost when he limped with A/J, I checked with Q/J, and the flop was something like 9/T/J. I got my stack in, and failed to hit my straight for the loss.

I hit three $25 FR tables and lost on all three. I lost something like $4 on one, and $17-something on each of the other two.
On one I had A/A on an all-diamond rag flop. I shoved, and was called A/4 (he paired the 4 and had the Ace of diamonds). Yes, he made the flush. I've been getting flushed on a lot lately.

Dumb play by both parties:
I'd been playing pretty tight with a VP$IP at 9 and a PFR% at 6, when I raised with A/Qs. I was called by one guy on the button. The flop was 4/7/9 rainbow. I raised on the turn and river (hitting face cards each time, but not ones that helped), and my $8 (into the $12 pot) was called on the river with his pair of 7's and a T kicker. Ugh!

Something similar happened at the same table, with a guy who kept calling my middle-pocket pair on a rag flop and caught his J on the river to beat me.

Maybe I should just give up bluffing altogether? (Other than the continuation bet that is.) Let people pay me off when I hit.

My daughter turned 5 today. Tonight we take her to a "meet the class" function at the school she'll be attending. It's a pajama party theme, so she's supposed to be wearing pajamas.

I don't know what I'll be playing tonight. I've been sloppy lately.
Even though my latest cash out put my roll under what it should be for $50NL, I think I might try that to keep me on my toes. I'd move down if I lost a couple buy-ins.
Moving up in limits has always resulted in my playing well and winning a lot. (I don't think I'll do it, but it's worth considering... especially since I decided I'd start on my daughter's birthday back when I was rolled for the new, higher limit)

No comments: