Sunday, September 13, 2009

Computer woes

I do computer repair and took an abandoned laptop with a busted screen and replaced the screen & video cable. At the same time my PC has developed disconnect issues. It just won't maintain a connection and I don't know why.

Since my old laptop is an *old* laptop I installed poker software onto this new one and have been using it for the past few days.

The other day I got a phone call from a friend that my Twitter account (which I had never used before) was advertising "legal marijuana" and posting it to my Facebook account. I logged in and changed my password.

Well, in the middle of play last night I had some severe lag. I noticed that there was a lot online activity even after I quit all online applications (including Windows Updates).

Installed Norton Antivirus and got a warning that the hosts file was tampered with. For those not in the know, to go to a website your computer uses a DNS (domain name service) that converts "Google.com" into a numeric address. The hosts file on your computer overrides that. It can say that "Google.com" is the wrong numeric address, in which case every time you try to go there you are redirected to the wrong address. Malware (viruses and trojan horses and advertising software) likes to tamper with to send you to their sites, and keep you away from antivirus sites.

So anyway, I found out that this computer has a backdoor trojan on it and it was most likely sending off anything I typed to a third party.

Once I removed the trojan I changed my poker passwords (they use the extended security anyway, so key logging will not work), changed my Twitter account again, and changed any other password thing I could think of that I may have accessed on this computer.

Such a hassle.

I'm still having trouble where my Symantec won't update. I'm assuming that something in the registry is locked or something like that. I probably had to use the Symantec uninstall tool to remove it all, and start over. But until then I'm using a free alternative.

Oh, here's my entire ring career on this laptop. As you can see, I just do short sessions to unlock the bonus. That Truly table where I won $17 is the one where I lost $25 in hand #2 when my 6/6 and his vowels both made sets on the flop.


Ok... off to bed.

Oh yeah.... I railed a game with Phil Ivey, Durrrr, and Patrik Antonius. The latter two tangled, with Durrrr calling PA's shove on the river.
Result: Patrik Antonius wins the pot ($581,070.80) with a flush, Ace high

No comments: